Nowadays, getting into one of the top universities can be a tough experience, especially when it comes to writing a personal statement that delivers results. The process of creating a personal statement for family medicine emergency medicine fellowships, as an example, is one of the most confusing and complicated to develop, so it is vital for all applicants to know how to do it correctly.
A good residency personal statement should be concise yet exciting enough with all the necessary information the admission board needs to know about each applicant. It should also explain the value of the applicant, with a story preferably. But should always avoid being too explanative or direct, and should focus on what the applicant can offer, not his ideas. In short words, a general surgery statement of purpose must be perfect, or else it won’t have the desired effect on the admission committee.
Importance of a General Surgery Residency Personal Statement
In a year, millions of surgeries are performed by general surgeons. And with the creations of new types of operations for different diseases and conditions, the need for surgeons arises. Only in 2009, 48 million surgical procedures were performed, most of them successfully, thanks to the preparation of around 1 million surgeons. All of these surgeons had to write a personal statement to get into college. This part is what eventually gave them the opportunity to get their surgeon certificate.
A general surgery personal statement writing, as well as radiology residency personal statement, demands careful planning, great ideas, and the ability to engage fast and efficiently. And this is all because most medical colleges are highly demanding of quality in almost every way, so they want quality students, and the personal statement is where an admission board can test each applicant, at first. So make sure your general surgery admission essay writing is perfect, and you will surely get the amazing chance of studying what you love. Here are a few general surgery personal statement guidelines that will help you out.
8 Techniques to Write the Best General Surgery Personal Statement
- Learn about the program: You must know a lot about the program you are applying to if you want to increase your chances of getting in. The most you know, the easier it will be to write a compelling an interesting statement, making sure all your data is factual and your ideas correct. Knowing what the program is about will make you look like an enthusiastic applicant, increasing your opportunities.
- Learn about the career: Not only knowing about the program will allow you to get more chances, but also understanding about how the career is developed and what it means to be a surgeon, will help you a lot. Start from the basics, like what is the esophagus, small bowel, and gallbladder, and so on, to how a condition or disease in this part of the body can be spotted.
- Be conservative but take chances: You don’t have to take risks, be artistic or try to be the smartest applicant. Yet, you can do it as long as you know your limits, and as long as you follow the right path. Remember that an application is to show how your skills and talents comply with your dreams and career, not on how bright you are or how artistic you can be, especially in a medical area like surgery.
- Focus on the specific area: Don’t talk about why you want to be a doctor or a medic, talk about why you want to be a surgeon. Mention someone in the field you want to emulate and explain why. Talk about your talents and how they fit with the career, and focus more on what you should do than in what you want to do.
- Talk about experiences: Any event or meaningful moment in your life related to the career can be a significant point for an admission board to pick you. Mention how your interest in the profession started, talk about any experience where something related to the field taught you a lesson, or merely mention why precisely this career interests you so much with an anecdote. These approaches tend to be a lot more effective.
- Demonstrate your commitment: There’s nothing more useful to convince someone of your ideas than showing how committed you are to those plans. Admission boards always consider those applicants who demonstrate their knowledge and enthusiasm about the career, those who are sure what they want and why commitment is a powerful feeling that can convince people of what you wish to accomplish.
- Be subtle: Remember that a personal statement will not give you an admission directly, yet a bad one can get you out of the competition. That’s why it is important to be subtle when you talk about yourself, to be humble, and to always show interest and desire, without having to talk too much about your talents, but more about what you plan to do with them, subtly.
- Don’t mention obvious things: Something that most people tend to do that eventually makes them less appealing to admission boards is to talk about stuff that doesn’t matter or that are too obvious even to need any mentioning. Avoid writing about cliché stuff or things that don’t really matter, and focus more on your talents and how you intend to use them.
Leila Javidi, an MS4 with an MPH at Saint George’s University, recommends to “leave out any traces of bitterness, defensiveness or anger about anything that has happened in your life. Everything MUST have a positive spin.”
Need Help with Your General Surgery Residency Personal Statement?
Whether it is a general surgery residency personal statement or a radiology residency personal statement, it will surely become a challenge to write, no matter how intelligent or witty you think you are. Remember that it may increase your chances if it is perfect, but it will inevitably decrease them if it is not good enough. So you must always strive to make it perfect. Besides, you should remember to tailor your document to the specific program you’re applying for. Carefully read all the requirements and try to keep up to the highest standards. In case you need help with crafting your spectacular personal statement surgery residency, we are here at your service. Our admission experts can target your surgical residency personal statement to various programs:
Get a Personal Statement Tailored to My Program
Our team of professional writers knows how to create outstanding personal statements, no matter the type. They are experts in various medical fields and know every little essential detail so they can write perfect pieces that will undoubtedly make you a better applicant. If you need any help, you can use our services, and you will receive amazing results. Just let us know what you are having problems with, and we will help you without any question. Not only do we deliver outstanding surgery personal statements for residency application but also guarantee:
- Expertise in the ERAS® application process
- Writing in adherence to your program requirements
- Delivery always right on time, even within 24 hours
- Top-quality help with all types of residency admission documents
- Fully custom and 100% original personal statement for surgery residency
- Working one-on-one with your personal general surgery residency personal statement expert
- Surgery personal statement residency at an affordable price with no hidden charges
- Outstanding discounts on a regular basis
- And so much more!